Dignity In Dementia Group Care Programmes
A free to attend course that runs over a number of weeks and provides effective and easy to use dementia care guidance for family carers that helps them connect more effectively to the person they support, leading to an improved quality of life for both.
- What is dementia
- Connecting to the feelings of the person with dementia
- Communicating effectively & building trust
- The importance of comfort, how to detect pain and how dementia can affect vision
- Dealing with challenging behaviour
- Distraction methods
- Meaningful occupation and the perils of boredom
- Looking after yourself and relaxation
We will advertise these programmes on our facebook page, as well as through local Carers Associations, The Alzheimer’s Society and Memory Clinics.
“This course can make such a positive difference to the life of the carer, as well as the cared-for – definitely sign up.”
“As well as learning lots, you meet people going through similar experiences and can learn and share with them.”
Young Onset Dementia
Adults affected by Young Onset Dementia can face specific challenges and therefore Dignity in Dementia provide two levels of support.
- After diagnosis and a professional referral, we will visit to learn as much as possible about the individual and offer advice and guidance to them and their family.
- We facilitate two Support & Friendship groups that enable adults with the diagnosis and their main carer to give support to each other. We know that providing opportunities to bring people together who understand the challenges can be extremely helpful.
If you are affected by Young Onset Dementia please contact us to find out more.
We are also active in the community in a range of other ways. For example we run a support group for family carers which meets monthly at St John’s Church Hall, Silverdale – please contact us for details and support a group in Grange-over-Sands. Additionally we assist the work of a number of the counties Dementia Action Alliance, with Diane acting as Secretary for the Kendal one. We also get involved in many other community ventures.